If you’re looking to advance your career and earn a higher salary in cybersecurity, IT, or any related field, pursuing a cybersecurity certification is one of the best ways to start.
According to the Global Knowledge 2019 IT Skills and Salary Report, individuals with six or more IT certifications make over $10,000 more than those with only one certification on their resume. Beyond the increased salary, 96% of IT leaders interviewed for the Global Knowledge 2020 Report believe team members with cybersecurity certifications add value to their organizations.
However, with dozens of various cybersecurity certifications offered online it can be difficult to determine which certifications are actually worth pursuing. Fortunately, Forbes compiled a list of the 10 most popular cybersecurity certifications according to results from the 2020 Global Knowledge IT Skills and Salary report! The 2020 report is currently in final production.
Ranging from intermediate certifications to cloud-based cybersecurity and everything in between, these are the 10 certifications that are most recommended if you want to advance your career in technology.
Top 10 Most Popular Cybersecurity Certifications
1. (ISC)2: CISSP-ISSMP – Information Systems Security Management Professional
CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) is a certification designed for security-leaders that focuses on both the operational and technical aspects of security operations.
The CISSP-ISSMP is a management-concentrated certification that builds upon the CISSP and highlights your ability to establish, present, and govern information security programs, as well as demonstrate your exceptional leadership skills. This CISSP Concentration is ideal for those working in roles such as:
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Information Security Officer
- Chief Technology Officer
- Senior Security Executive
2. ISACA: CISM – Certified Information Security Manager
CISM (Certified Information Security Manager) is a management-focused certification that demonstrates your all-around knowledge of technical competence and your ability to manage a security team.
This certification is recommended for those with technical expertise and experience in program management who are hoping to transition from a technical role into a security management role. CISM can increase your credibility as a leader and prove your expertise in various domains such as:
- Information Security Governance
- Information Risk Management
- Information Security Program Development & Management
- Information Security Incident Management
3. ISACA: CRISC – Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control
CRISC (Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control) is an enterprise risk management certification that is seen as the go-to accreditation for experts in the field of risk and information systems controls or those looking to progress their careers in this area.
This certification is targeted for professionals whose job or associated responsibility is to manage company risks and controls.
Employers frequently seek CRISC credentials when recruiting for roles including but not limited to:
- Risk and Security Managers
- IS or Business Analysts
- IS Managers
- Operations Managers
- Information Control Managers
- Chief Information Security or Compliance Officers.
4. AWS Certified Security – Specialty
Achieving the AWS (Amazon Web Services) Security Specialty certification enables tenured cloud security professionals to demonstrate their ability to secure the AWS cloud. This certification is intended for individuals who perform a security role with at least two years of hands-on experience securing AWS workloads.
5. ISACA: CISA – Certified Information Systems Auditor
CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor) is the global standard for professionals in information systems audit control, assurance, and security. CISA holders demonstrate to employers that they have the knowledge, technical skills, and proficiency to meet the dynamic challenges facing modern organizations.
6. CompTIA: Security+
The CompTIA Security+ certification is considered as the minimum level of certification for all IT security positions beyond entry-level. Security+ is an international, vendor-neutral certification that demonstrates competency in:
- Network security
- Compliance and operational security
- Threats and vulnerabilities
- Application, data, and host security
- Access control and identity management
7. (ISC)2: CCSP – Certified Cloud Security Professional
The CCSP (Certified Cloud Security Professional) certification is a global credential that represents the highest standard for cloud security expertise. This certification is ideal for IT and information security leaders responsible for applying best practices to cloud security architecture, design, operations and service orchestration, including those in the following positions:
- Enterprise Architect
- Security Administrator
- Systems Engineer
- Security Architect
- Security Consultant
- Security Engineer
- Security Manager
- Systems Architect
8. EC-Council: CEH – Certified Ethical Hacker
The CEH certificate proves your ability to master an ethical hacking methodology that can be used in penetration testing to lawfully assess the security of a system. The CEH certificate will significantly benefit anyone who is concerned about the integrity of the network infrastructure, including but not limited to those in roles such as:
- Security officers
- Security professionals
- Site administrators
9. CompTIA CySA+ (Cybersecurity Analyst)
The CompTIA CySA+ (Cybersecurity Analyst) certification is an intermediate-level credential for cybersecurity professionals. The certification proves that the individual has the knowledge and skills required to:
- Perform data analysis and interpret the results to identify vulnerabilities, threats, and risks to an organization
- Configure and use threat detection tools
- Secure and protect applications and systems within an organization
10. Google Cloud Platform Professional Security Engineer
The GCP (Google Cloud Platform) Professional Security Engineer certification demonstrates an individual’s ability to design and implement a secure infrastructure on Google Cloud Platform. The certification exam tests the knowledge and skills needed to:
- Configure access within a cloud solution environment
- Configure network security
- Ensure data protection
- Manage operations within a cloud solution environment
- Ensure compliance