Cybersecurity continues to remain the most significant issue for business owners and individuals all over the world. During 2020, there were many discussions about a significant increase in fraud against companies, especially small-sized companies. Moreover, cyberattacks have expanded to governmental institutions and critical infrastructures as well. Except that the number of cyber fraud and malware attacks has increased, many cases happened because people are working from home and do not usually install efficient tools to protect computers.
The importance of digital security
2020 has been challenging for everyone in the world. It was the year of both the biological virus COVID-19 and many digital viruses.
Fishing is the most common form to steal data so that it is used to get personal information. Fake websites are designed to look like the company’s actual website to trick users to enter the website and steal their personal data. The received data provide opportunities for hackers to steal the identity of the victim.
We have prepared for you some useful tips on improving computer security protection to follow to control your system’s security completely.
How to protect your computer from viruses?
- Install and use antivirus software. Definitely, the only and the most important way to keep your computer safe is to install a modern and professional version of antivirus. It would help if you choose an antivirus with a spam blocker, pop-up blocker, anti-spyware, and anti-malware. In fact, many types of antivirus programs can detect the possible presence of malware. In addition, all antiviruses have to be updated regularly. The most efficient antiviruses are Norton 360, McAfee, Intego, Avast, Comodo, Bitdefender, and Total AV:
- Norton 360 involves a powerful range of Internet security tools for a reasonable price. Moreover, it has good reviews and positive expert feedback among the experts in the industry. The antivirus uses machine learning and updates malware directories to identify better trojans and other types of viruses. Besides, you will get an efficient firewall, anti-phishing protection, webcam protection, cloud backup, secure VPN, and privacy protection as well.
- McAfee Total Protection is one of the 10 best antivirus protection programs in 2021, it performs almost everything that you need to keep your system safe. You will get professional malware protection, encrypted storage, a password manager as well as a browser extension, and a VPN.
- Intego is great for macOS with real-time malware protection, optimization, and cleaning tools. It has different options for Windows, too.
2. Connect to a secure network. Many Internet service providers perform some level of security monitoring, so we recommend you secure the router to get all the information from the Internet in a safe way.
3. Use a firewall and data backup. A firewall helps you to control the amount of information that your computer receives. Check your router whether it has a built-in firewall.
4. Delete unnecessary software. You should check the programs on your computer whether it is still useful for you or not. Also, we recommend choosing a data backup service in order not to ruin your system and protect it from losing all the important data, such as emails, contacts, and others.
5. Choose the principle of least privilege and do not trust public Wi-Fi. Many malware viruses are operated under the rights of the logged-in user. Thus, you need to use a standard, or even you need to choose an account with restricted rights for day-to-day activities. Also, when you are in a café or in any other public place, your passwords can be stolen, so that you need to secure your connection. For this, it would be useful to activate a VPN service that can help you to encrypt your connection to a secure service. Also, never underestimate clearing your cache, because when you save cookies, searches, and Web history, it could be stolen.
6. Secure the web browser. Check whether your browser is secure or not, especially if your computer is new. Many new computers do not have secured settings.
7. Apply automatic updates. The software vendors usually release updates to fix vulnerabilities and other types of weaknesses in their software. Therefore, it is significant to keep software updated. In addition, we strongly recommend enabling software updates to prevent viruses. Most operating systems have an automatic update option and it is not necessary to remember or control it. The only thing you need to do is to download software updates from an official vendor’s website or with the help of automatic updating.
8. Be wary of untrusted links and use two-factor authentication. Don’t open unusual and insecure attachments. Do not click the link unless you are completely aware that it would be safe. Don’t forget that even emails and webpages may actually be the work of an attacker. Two-factor authentication makes your account more secure. Enable two-factor authentication in an account if it is enabled, especially for Gmail, Dropbox, or Evernote.
9. Block pop-up ads. You can use a browser with pop-ups blocked or Adblock programs, which are free.
10. Use caution with untrusted links or providing sensitive information. Create strong passwords. Be aware when you pay with a smartphone. The system is not secure and it is outdated. However, you can use Apple Pay or an Android equivalent.
There are many other types of cyber-threats and their impact is defined by machine learning as well as with artificial intelligence technologies. Hackers identify vulnerabilities in the system on the devices and use them for attacks. Therefore, a significant question for many companies and individuals is what can be done to protect data.
Hackers do not waste time and take advantage of the gaps in the new remote work environment so that the following 2022 year has to be the year for cybersecurity. In 2021, people continue working from home and it will be the main challenge. Financial gains will be the main motivation behind all possible cyber attacks.