In 2022, we all know the threat cybercrimes hold on any network, software, or device. So there is no need to remind you of the significance of cyber security. Yet it is still challenging to understand the difference in security methods, especially if you’re not a tech geek. Each business owner desires the most innovative and top-notch technology solutions to benefit their business. Let’s shine some light on managed detection and response services, what it’s compatible with and why it’s a revolutionary security method.
What should one look for when choosing a cyber defense solution?
The unfortunate mistake that most business owners make is seeking only one defense method from cybercrime. It doesn’t matter how good the security solution is. Operating on its own, it won’t fully protect your servers and network or won’t rapidly respond. The goal of cybersecurity – is to detect threats, protect the systems from them and provide an on-time response. The cyber security consultants advise combining security methods for more efficient results. If you’re unsure which solution would work in your organization, try cybersecurity consulting services. The expert will estimate the state of the active security system, detect the vulnerabilities, and design a defense strategy.
Still, understanding the security processes will help you make the right choice for your company’s success. Let’s not waste another minute and get to the bottom of the difference between different DR ( detection and response) methods.
Myth breaker: EDR is not just an antivirus program.
Even though the regular world calls Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) antivirus, it’s not according to the term. EDR evolved from the antivirus, providing users with a better security level as an original detection and response technology. The focus of EDR is real-life non-stop monitoring and estimations, gathering endpoint data, and providing a well-suited response. As cyber threats become more sophisticated, antivirus program is not enough as they operate strictly according to the database. EDR can analyze the unknown virus variant and find a reaction to diminishing it.
What are the EDR capabilities?
- Notify by sending alerts whenever the software detects cyber threats.
- The endpoints connections and endpoints themselves are the main focus of EDR.
- Performs traffic filtering and carries out the automated response.
- Has the ability to quarantine malware threats and kill chain analyses.
EDR features and benefits:
- A specialist can install the software locally to your system or offers the cloud-based option.
- For threats detection and identification, the EDR system uses the behavioral analysis engine installed in the software.
- Features endpoints centralized reporting.
Yet EDR solution can only identify a quarter of all incoming threats, as the program overloads with traffic and alerts. The hackers and automated cyber threats and breaches target the endpoint specifically. That’s why the EDR solution is still essential for organizations, as it’s responsible for the endpoint connection security and integrity.
XDR as the next step in cyber defense technology
When tech developers realized that EDR is no longer enough to provide networks will full protection against cyber attacks, they boosted up the DR solutions to a new level. The XDR stands for Extendant Detection and Response solution. From the name, you can understand that it extends the reach of its protection services. The XDR solution secures servers, networks, cloud environments, embedded SaaS applications, and other components of your systems. The XDR solution identifies cyber-attacks and threats faster using the cross-layer protection approach. With complex analysis, the response is activated faster and spread widely to shield the system as a whole, not only some components.
The top-notch features you have to know about:
- XDR offers external and internal cyber threats analysis by using machine learning technology.
- ML allows it to identify the heart SIEM solution missed on the first level of protection.
- Alert suppression makes the notification process optimized directly, affecting the work process.
What are XDR solutions capable of?
- The Extended Detection and Response solution proved all EDR capabilities and features.
- XDR minimized the fatigue and overload of your cybersecurity system.
- End-to-end tracking and monitoring.
- The forensic capabilities help experts in constructing scenarios for severe attacks.
- XDR provides multi-layer security with funding easy solutions for each environmental component.
MDR – top-loved security solution among tech geeks
A modified version of EDR comes with a human touch. Managed EDR allows an efficient and optimized cybersecurity system, as it combines automated threat tracing and human inspection and analysis. That way, an expert can supervise the security solution software to distinguish the false threat alerts, missed attacks, and overall vulnerabilities. MDR is a commonly adopted cyber defense solution that provides a high-quality response and a constant estimation of your security software. Adding people to the equation allows for improving hunting, detecting, and response planning processes to bring your cyber defense to a higher level.
Outlook of MDR capabilities:
- Advanced manual cyber threat hunting.
- MDRoofer entire system security coverage.
- Targeted security for chosen component of the system defending against vulnerabilities.
The capabilities of MDR solutions will vary based on the cyber defense company you decide to cooperate with.
Features that make MDR stand out
- Threat intelligence guarantees higher percentages of attack and malware detection and identification.
- MDR solution offers the possibility of outsourcing security tasks.
- 24/7 non-stop coverage.
- MDR security method covers the firewalls, web applications, network tools, and not only endpoint;
- MDR allows you to expand to contractual services.
If you are only at the beginning of your cyber security journey, there is no need to install the EDR solution. Both MDR and XDR cover its capabilities and functionality. Whether you decide on Managed or Extended Detection and Response methods, note that only one security measure is not enough for optimized defense. Therefore consult with the cyber security consultants to establish what solution will work best for your company and what kind of services you should get from the vendor.