Projection mapping has three major components; hardware, software, and media. Each of these video mapping aspects has unique requirements. They work together to produce a breath-taking mapped project.
- Media – Projection mapping content that is used in the project. It includes; a series of videos, images, or any form of graphics that appeals to the audience.
- Software – Considered as the glue between projection content and projectors. POGUMAX projection technologies controls the projection mapping output.
- Hardware – Projection mapping kit includes computers, projectors, cables, power sources, and even cameras for producing projection content.
Questions to answer before you start projection mapping
1. Is projection mapping right for your next project?
It boils down to the mapping project you are trying to achieve. Is it a permanent projection mapping or a one-time event for the audience to enjoy?. Also, the answer dictates the mapping programs and projection equipment you will need to bring the project to life.
For instance, 3D projection mapping on the table in a restaurant for a better customer experience will require different tools and resources than doing a projection mapping on the wall of your home.
2. What surface will you use for projection mapping?
Projecting on dark surfaces is not recommended as they impact the brightness of the projected content. Also, if you have to project on a glass surface, a particular film is applied to it to slow light reflecting through during the day.
3. What is the best projection mapping software for your business?
Projection mapping technology enables you to overlap into a surface, taking the desired shape depending on the projected surface. The best way to ensure projection content takes the shape of the surface is by using bright enough projectors.
Using 3D projection software like POGUMAX Designer, museum projection mapping allows them to bring artists’ paintings to life in minutes with the help of a projector.
4. How do you create content for your projection mapping?
Making content for your projection mapping is critical. You can hire video and photography experts to create content for you. If you need customized video animations, hire 3D mapping experts.
5. How do you create a projection mapping that is breath-taking?
Projection mapping is art at scale. The audience experience a surface structure transformed into an appealing scenery of still and motion media. To create breath-taking projection mapping, choose the right video mapper software, and use projections that bring out the best content projection.
How to start projection mapping
What do you want to achieve?
What is the end goal for your projection mapping? For instance, in sensory rooms, you will need content and expertise if you want to amuse kids with a virtual environment. The content structure needs to entertain kids but also educate them.
Additionally, you will need the following;
- A short-throw projector
- A laptop or PC
- Projection mapping software
Pick a projection mapping location.
In the above example, we picked a sensory room for kids. However, events projection mapping can choose Townsquare streets or monuments.
An excellent mapping projection example happened on the basketball court at the Orlando Magic Season Opener game in December 2011. The projection debuted players’ images and names onto the court surface as they were introduced to the lineup
Get projection mapping content ready.
This is a no-brainer. Create content that is interactive as possible. Depending on your target audience, you can include user-generated content that adds a personal touch. Take time to craft compelling content.
Choose your projection mapping software.
Video mapping software can make or break your mapping project. Choose a 3D mapping software that meets the following factors;
- Capability to apply depth-based effects
- Access to an extensive library of effectors
- The ability to chain together multiple projectors for large projection
- Compatibility with preferred projector model and make
- The ability to synchronize visual effects with audio
- Access to tools and features to aid in selecting and mapping objects.
Set up your projection mapping project with the right tools
Before setting up the mapping project, answer the following questions;
- How large is the area of want to project on? – This depends on the projection surface. You can cut unnecessary regions of the visual display to capture what you need.
- What will you be projecting? – The projection content will affect the cost of mapping projection software and tools like projectors to project.
- How early did you start planning for the project? – Mapping projection is a complex process. Planning earlier for the event reduces the last-minute rush.
Elements for a breath-taking projection mapping
- Resolution – How many pixels per inch( PPI) are displayed? Multiple resolutions will produce quality projection mapping.
- Brightness – The ability to ‘cover’ the projection surface with content. Low brightness will affect the quality of the projections.
- Processing quality – It’s highly dependent on the mapping projection software and projectors you use.
- Colors – They help cover the projection surface and render the project appealing.
What kind of projector do I need for house mapping?
You can use any projector with the following qualities;
- A projector with high lumen with optimal choices between 1500- 3000 lumens of lighting if you are projecting in a dark area, but above 4,500 is the advised standard.
- A Short-throw projector that does not require much space between them and the projection background to produce clear and large images.
- A high contrasting ratio produces a fantastic viewing experience.
Starting a projection mapping either in your house or an outdoor event, you will need the right mapping tools and software to produce a fantastic experience for the audience. Contact POGUMAX for your projection mapping projects.