Undergraduate Bachelor’s degree course is a crucial study program for students after completing their 12th grade. It is here. They choose a stream that they will study and make a career in. Students select one of the study streams out of Engineering, Medicine, Management, Law, Arts, Science, Pharmacy, etc., for their Bachelor’s degree study. Further studies – either Master’s or Doctoral are specialties from within these broad categories.
BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration), or BMS (Bachelor of Management Studies), is the management course taught at the undergraduate level. This course provides a student with conceptual, theoretical and practical knowledge and training in various aspects of business like finance, economics, operations, marketing, basic accounting, etc. These are all forms of management at the undergraduate level.
Students also get to do a project or fieldwork, which gives them much-needed practical exposure to how real-life businesses are run.
Several universities and colleges across India offer BBA Degree programs for students – both on-campus and online. Many of these institutions, in turn, tie up with reputed foreign universities to offer exchange programs as well as accredited courses.
The undergraduate degree program in Business Administration is one of India’s highest jobs providing educational degree courses. Many Indian and multinational companies in India offer jobs to business graduates in Business Administration.
With this understanding, we will look at the entire gamut of the BBA Course and who qualifies to study this program and its career prospects.
Overview of the BBA course (Campus-based and Online)
Eligibility: BBA is a 3-year study program, both for offline and online modes.
1) The essential academic requirement for candidates aspiring to study BBA is to have completed 12th grade. This qualification holds irrespective of whether 11th and 12th grades were in Arts or Humanities or Science.
2) Some Universities and Colleges mandate a minimum of 50% marks for admission.
3) The age should be between 17 to 25 years.
Mode of study:
Many colleges and Universities offer the BBA program as regular or distance learning education. Students can therefore pursue a BBA course either full-time or through distance mode.
Till recently, the full-time course was valued more than the distance education mode, both for further studies and in particular for employment. However, the Covid-19 pandemic has brought in a sea change on distance education. Consequently, online BBA is a severe study option available for students, and importantly several reputed Management Universities and Colleges offer online BBA.
UGC has approved 38 Universities considered Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) to offer an online degree program, most of whom offer online BBA programs. (since this exact number can vary from year to year, students are best advised to check before the commencement of the BBA academic year)
Why Study BBA Online Course?
Changing the perception about distant and online education, rapid growth in technology, and the pandemic has made Online BBA considered on the ‘same footing’ as campus-based, offering students another equally valuable option. There may be many reasons why students may want to opt for this course. Some of the key reasons (which can also be seen as advantages over campus-based courses) would include:
- Economic:An online BBA course is relatively much affordable as compared to an offline course. This makes it a trendy choice among students who may not have the financial resources to support an offline course of study in an expensive college. Because classes happen online and right at their homes, online courses help avoid expenses for transport and accommodation (if a student is not a resident in the town/city of the College/University).
- Convenient Learning Process:Students have more or less freedom on how they want to complete the course. They can choose the timings of their classes, and some Colleges even offer the choice of time for tests. Maybe hard-pressed this, flexible time allows them to align their courses according to their free time. This flexibility is beneficial for students who are working and maybe hard-pressed for time.
- Extended Interaction:Offline course enables in-person student interactions with co-students and faculty. This, however, limits students’ interaction within the class or campus. But online classes help students from different parts of the country (and in some different parts of the world too) to connect and form relations. This helps in broadening their horizon on study, preparation and career trends.
Accreditation: AICTE (All India Council of Technical Education) is the accreditation body for BBA in India.
Therefore, aspiring students must ensure that institutions they consider for BBA study ensure that AICTE approves it, whether campus-based or online.
Core subjects in BBA:
BBA graduate program offers the following core subjects of study.
- Human Resources (HR)
- Supply Chain
- International Business
- Logistics and Supply Chain
- Organizational Behavior
These subjects form the basis for students to pursue an MBA program with particular specialization – as per their interest and options provided by the University/College of study.
Various universities give admission to BBA courses based on the merit list, which is prepared based on marks scored in 12th grade. Some colleges also give admission to students through entrance tests. The entrance tests are organized at the national, state or university level by various authorities. Some colleges follow the National Under Graduate Aptitude Test (UGAT) conducted by the All India Management Association (AIMA). In contrast, others follow their entrance exam (Example: SET by Symbiosis International University and Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies). Great learning offers an online MBA program in collaboration with Shiv Nadar university mba.
The scope of career prospects for BBA completed students are increasing by the year. After completing the BBA course, you have a great job opportunity in the industrial world and government.Based on performance, further qualifications, and experience in the management sector, one can potentially reach the top designation. BBA opens up several career paths in the future, as business administration experts play a significant role in any sector.
Some of the job profiles opportunities for BBA graduates include:
- Sales Executive
- Office Executive
- Research Assistant
- Human Resource Executive
- Research and Development Executive
- Marketing Executive
- Assistant Manager
- Business Administration Researcher
- Business Consultant
- Assistant Manager- Information Systems
- Financial Analyst
Organizations where BBA graduates are employed include:
- Marketing Organizations
- Educational Institutes
- Business Consultancies
- Multinational Companies
- Financial Organizations
- Export Companies
Various companies offer BBA graduates good salary packages. It is usually dependent on academic performance, Interview assessment and college of study.
The initial package offered for BBA graduates in India is around Rs. 2 to Rs. 3 lacs per annum. However, it varies from company to company. With good experience and skills, your earnings can quickly rise several times over a reasonable period.
Conclusion: BBA course will continue to be an attractive study-career option for aspiring students shortly. Like in any stream of education, it is important to ensure that you have the aptitude to pursue a career in management and business administration. Aspiring students should plan adequately through their research, consultation with friends and teachers before taking the plunge. With technology advancements making online BBA education an acceptable and equally rewarding option, it is important to give it weightage in your planning and acceptance. A management development program is a next step after a successful BBA.